Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Saying Good-Bye...

Just now recovering from saying this good-bye...(I may get a little teary-eyed from writing this post.)  Better late then never, I now update you on why these last few weeks have been hard for me as well as for my preschool students.

As many of you know...about three weeks ago, I lost my wonderful assistant teacher, Ana.  I don't even know where to begin to be sure I cover everything I have experienced with this wonderful, young, talented woman in the last five months.  Where do I start? Well, let's begin.

Cascerones!!! :)
In January, I entered my preschool room not knowing anyone in my classroom or my assistant teacher (Ana).  I was scared but excited and knew once I met Ana, I was going to love my job.  Ana had a wonderful attitude and accepted my personality and did not judge me for being a first time teacher and understood when I made mistakes.  Through these five months, we have learned from each other...her teaching me compassion and me teaching her that sometimes you just have to say it like it is :)!  We pride each other on these personality traits and every time we discussed these traits with another person, they completely understood us and just laughed at how well we complimented each other.  Most people think that when you spend an entire day with a co-worker in the same room filled by 30 kids....you are usually ready to go home and be by yourself.  However, with Ana, that was not the case.  We laughed, we cried, and we enjoyed SO MANY memories with each other as well as with our students.  From saying, "She's a hot mess" or "He just doesn't got it today," we laughed at each day and thanked God together every day that we were brought into this teaching profession and brought into each other's lives to make one another better as well as the 30 kids inside our classroom.

One of our favorite memories...playing Sailors and Sharks! :)
A lot of people in their careers today, do not get close to their co-workers and most people think it's nearly impossible.  However, that was not the case with Ana and I.  After working with each other for about only a month, we developed a very close friendship.  She was the one I went to if things weren't going my way, or if I didn't know what step to take next.  She was the one I confided in when it came to school problems, boy problems, family problems, etc.  She was just there...a caring, young woman that every girl should have the chance to have as a friend.  We started going for drinks, attending jewelry parties together, taking a trip to Chicago together, but most importantly, developing memories that will last a life time.  I can say to you now that we had a lot of memories outside of school, but our most cherished memories are those spent with our 30 kids inside our classroom.  I did not consider her my assistant teacher.  I considered us co-workers, co-teaching to 30 kids and making their education the best possible education they could receive.  We shared a classroom and the memories we share are even better.

Enjoying our trip in downtown Chicago!
On Miss Ana's last few days, we celebrated with the students, helping them understand that not only was she leaving for awhile, she was leaving for good.  This concept is very tough for young preschoolers to understand.  We wanted to be sure that they really understood what was happening and why they should truly cherish the last few days with Miss Ana.  I let Ana plan a going away celebration activity that is a celebration activity that they do back in Texas.  Ana let the students make homemade 'cascerones' (aka: confetti eggs) and then we let the students crack these eggs over each other's heads as well as on Miss Ana. They absolutely loved it!!!  Miss Ana also received presents from parents (showing how greatly she was appreciated) and from the Bear Room as well.  She opened presents and we also had cake to enjoy her last day of teaching in the Bear Room.

The students getting her with the confetti eggs!

Going away gift...Coffee mug with student's signatures on it and some goodies, and a picture of our class :)
To this day, our classroom has not been the same.  Ana is greatly missed by not only me, but the students as well.  They recognized her not only as a teacher, but as a caregiver as well.  She truly loved each and every one of our students and they loved her back.

Ana is now in Texas, living with her husband and looking for a teaching job beginning in the fall.  Moving back to Texas was something her husband and her had always wanted to do, coming to Iowa only to attend college for their superior teaching program.   Now that they are back in Texas, it's no longer a 15 minute drive to hang out with each other, but instead....dialing each other's phone number in seconds and talking on the phone for hours.  Each week, we try and talk on the phone...catching up on each other's life and the craziness that is going on not only in Iowa but in Texas as well.  I can truly thank God for Ana and the friendship we have developed.  She has the best advice and the most caring personality you could ask for from a friend.

Now, with tears in my eyes, it's time to say good-bye.

Thank you all for listening...and until next time, stay safe. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment