Monday, October 14, 2013

Risin' in the Rainforest

What are the four layers of the rainforest?  Do you know?  Well, you may have just been outsmarted by a 2nd grader!  Yep, that's right...my 2nd graders know the 4 layers of the rainforest and different animals that live in each one of them!  :)

Since school has started, the 2nd grade and I have been studying 4 different habitats.  A habitat is defined as a place where people/animals live.  The four different habitats we are studying are the desert, rainforest, ocean, and forest.  We studied the desert for about a week, and just finished up with the rainforest!  The students LOVED the rainforest and that is why I am deciding to share about the amazing activity we did!

So, we all know that students love computers...right?  Well, at least I know they do...so Miss Nederhoff, being the fun teacher she is...let each group use a computer to RESEARCH the four different levels of the rainforest on an online website called a WebQuest.  A WebQuest is a safe website that teachers create to help students learn about a specific website.

Check out the website at this link: http://mrsgebauer.com/rainforestweb/WebQuest.htm

Anyways...each group of 3 students got a computer/my iPad and got to research the different layers of the rainforest and the different animals that live there.  I provided them with the link to the WebQuest and gave them some quick guidance on how to navigate through the website, and from there...they were on their own!


Working on the computers to help figure out what order the layers 
go in and where the rainforest animals go! :)



I provided them with a white long sheet of paper, the names of the 4 layers, and different rainforest animals.  From there, they had to take their supplies and decide how they were going to design their poster.  They were SO creative!!! :)


Working as a team to color/figure out where everything goes!!! :)



I was truly impressed with how each group did.  They took their time..and I mean, really took their time.  This research project took us 3 days, but I didn't even care because they did so great with it!  They were getting peer interaction, getting exposed to technology, and using their imagination to it's full potential.  I was just amazed...definitely a "proud teacher" moment :)

And....the FINAL PRODUCT!!! :)


Aren't they adorable!?!  I laminated them so they would stay neat and look spiffy :)


I was just so proud of my kiddos and how they did on this project!  :)  Just amazed by the work they can do if you let them take control of their own learning and be independent but also learn how to work as a team!  We are working on team building in 2nd grade because it's important to learn social skills with friends and social skills is a big thing in 2nd grade!  

And to conclude this awesome rainforest post, I received the sweetest note from one of my 2nd graders last Friday...and it truly made my heart melt and reassured me that my students do like me and do LOVE coming to school!


Thank you all for listening...and I hope you learned something new ;)!  Until next time, stay safe <3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment