Thursday, November 20, 2014

Thanksgiving Break in 5 days?!?!

Hey everyone!

Wow, this month has seriously flown by!  Why is our year going by so quickly?! Ahh! Slow down school year, I have too much to teach these little ones yet! :)

Catch up on a quick photo tour of the past couple weeks! After all, that's what parents love to see! ;)

First:  We have been learning about main ideas and details in stories, and relating it to a table.  Without legs, can a table stand up? No.  Well, without details, can a story be a story? No.  (Aka: Main Idea = Table, Details = Legs) :)  To make this teaching "Thanksgiving" themed, I had the students write their main idea of their turkey about their "Thanksgiving Day" and then the details focused on what they did during their Thanksgiving Day!  The students were very creative and it was fun to hear all the different traditions in every family! :)  Check out the photo below :)


Second:  We of course had to do a FUN Thanksgiving project, so I read to the students the book: Turkey Trouble!  This book discusses how the turkey tries to disguise himself so he won't get eaten for Thanksgiving dinner.  The students loved this book and they absolutely LOVED disguising their turkeys and writing about how they disguised them!  I have alot of them to share so just please laugh and enjoy them with me because they are too cute! :)

We had a mouse, cupcake, Batman, Luigi, and of course Elsa!  There were many more but these students did so wonderful on coming up with the idea on their own that I just had to share! :)






Third:  We learned NEW learning games on the computers! :)  Learning games on the computer are a hit in my classroom and students love being engaged on the computers and it's promoting educational success on the computers as well as 21st century skills!  I'm very open to my students being on computers because this world is definitely changing and in 10 years, there may not even be a pen or paper! Who knows :)  Some different games I introduced were Synonym games, a Compound Word game, and a Sound Sort game!  They love them along with the usual Sight Word games and Math Fruit Shoot!


Hopefully this blog post finds you doing wonderful and made you smile.  I promise even though I don't blog all the time, we are super busy in 2nd grade and the students are learning like crazy! :)

Thank you all for listening, and until next time, stay safe!

Oh, by the way, did I mention we got SNOW?!?!?  The kids LOVE it and this pile of snow blocks is the HOT item at recess time! I had to snap a picture of it because it's ALL they play with :)

Who knew a pile of snow chunks could be such a big deal?! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment