Monday, August 13, 2012

Let the student teaching journey...begin!

Let the student teaching journey...begin!

My student teaching experience has started off awesome and I have been placed at Fred Becker Elementary, which is a phenomenal school with amazing teachers.  Fred Becker Elementary is located in Waterloo, Iowa and is part of the Waterloo Community School District.  This school district consists of many different elementary schools.  My cooperating teacher's name is Kris Hammar and she is a Kindergarten teacher at Fred Becker Elementary.  She has been teaching at Fred Becker Elementary for five years, all those five years being in a Kindergarten classroom.  She has hosted many student teachers; therefore, I know she is  a great teacher as well as role model and I have heard nothing but great things about her.  

Fred Becker Elementary, courtesy of Google Images.

Today was our official start to the year, and we started off the day with setting up the classroom.  We were busy hanging posters, organizing materials, etc.  Completing this task has prepared me for what is in store when I have my own classroom.  It takes a lot of extra work and time to set up a classroom and I'm so happy I could provide Kris with a couple extra hands through this process.  We then met with the staff at noon to have a catered lunch and then, the meetings began!  Through this school-wide meeting, we discussed rules and expectations of teachers, students, etc. as well as discussing Data Teams (more to come later in the blog), curriculum expectations, and many more important areas that make up a successful learning school community.  Overall, my day went great but I am worn out!  I am excited for all the experiences ahead and cannot wait to meet all the kids that are entering our class! 

Most important and exciting thing that happened to me today...I received my badge for the school!  :)  
Check it out!



I can't wait to share all the amazing and awesome experiences I have with Mrs. Hammar and her Kindergarten classroom.  I hope you all look forward to it as well!  Keep reading... :)

Soon to come...pictures of the classroom!  Get excited :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment